Welcome to More Lessons From the Nonprofit Boardroom Blog, a 40-week journey through the new book, More Lessons From the Nonprofit Boardroom, by Dan Busby and John Pearson. Each Wednesday, we're featuring a guest writer’s favorite snippet from the week's topic. Michael Martin is our guest blogger this week for the bonus resource lesson, following the 40 lessons. And during this COVID-19 era, the role of the board becomes even more critical. We pray that your board will have God-honoring wisdom as you spiritually discern next steps.
Assessing your board’s performance is the first step to improving it.
THE BIG IDEA FROM THE BOOK: Nonprofit boards rarely take time to self-assess their governance performance. They either don’t realize they need to do so—or are too busy tackling whatever may be the most urgent agenda items that pop up whenever the next board meeting rolls around.
Instead, regularly investing in targeted self-assessments on the six key governance elements highlighted in the free NonprofitBoardScore™ tool by ECFA will pay dividends in increasing your board’s effectiveness!
MY FAVORITE INSIGHTS from Bonus Resource, pages 221-226:
• As Rick Warren says, “The secret to effectiveness is to know what really counts, then do what really counts, and not to worry about all the rest.”
• Don’t underestimate the power of intentionality in your board work—clear agendas, Board Policies Manual, Prime Responsibility Chart, 80/20 focus on strategy, and more!
• “Progress starts only when you are clear on where you are right now. You may discern that the board is under-performing in a certain area, but until the board has a laser focus on the problem, it will be difficult to take action.”
Whatever you do, don’t miss this bonus lesson that provides an incredible capstone learning experience from all the great wisdom shared by Dan and John in More Lessons from the Nonprofit Boardroom.
An accomplished communicator, Michael has written on both scholarly and popular levels. His authorship is probably best known from the annual Minister's Tax & Financial Guide and the Church and Nonprofit Tax & Financial Guide, both of which he co-authored with former ECFA President Dan Busby, beginning with the 2013 editions. The 30th annual edition will be released in January 2021.
TO DO TODAY:
• Click here to visit the NonprofitBoardScore™ self-assessment and complete the free survey.
• Email the link for this easy-to-use board self-assessment to all your board members—and inspire them to complete the survey also. Then compare your results and agree on next steps for improving your God-honoring governance.
• Visit the ECFA Knowledge Center and read and share the short chapter, “How Healthy Is Your Board?”
NEXT WEDNESDAY: On Oct. 21, 2020, watch for the final blogpost of this series and the convenient index to all 41 blogs and guest bloggers.